Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Blair's Ouchy

We had just gotten home from Disneyland and went to bed early.  Around midnight we heard screams on the monitor that made both Jason and I fly out of bed and into Blair's room.  She was on the floor crying.  We thought she had had a nightmare (fairly common for her) and tried the usual tricks for calming her down but nothing would work.  Even with a TV show she was still crying and holding her shoulder so we knew it was serious and I got her in the car to take her to the ER.  Jason waited for Mimi and Papa to come stay with Nora and then he met us there.

We were just driving away and Blair seemed totally fine laughing in the backseat at Monsters Inc on the Ipad.  I even pulled over to check and see if she had snapped out of it but she cried again when I touched her.  We got into the ER and saw a doctor really quickly (yay!) and when he asked where it hurt Blair pointed to her tummy (what?!) and then she said, "I have an ouchy on my leg" and at this point I was like "I knew she was fine" only to follow up with him asking for a high five and she started crying again and said we needed an xray.  Blair was SO brave the whole time and barely cried.  I got to stay right with her for the xray and it was quick.  Sure enough, she had a small stress fracture on her collarbone.  They put her in a sling (2-3 weeks) and sent us on our way.


We watched lots of movies but it became clear there was no keeping her down. She turned out to be a wonderful patient with no complaining and was really good with one arm!







 Mimi spent a day with her and brought her a card and flowers and toys.  She brought this "ball gown" which she loves.   Andy and Kimmy also brought her a new get well toy, she is such a loved girl!



After a week when I talked to the doctor they were not happy to hear she was trying to use her arm since the sling didn't really contain it.  We had to go in and get a more restrictive sling which worked a lot better.



 At this point we are 1 day from 3 weeks and on our last day of sling usage.  However, she sneaks her arm out any chance she can get!  She is done!


No comments:

Post a Comment