Saturday, October 12, 2013

Oops!

When I arrived at Costco I got out the car and walked over to get a cart as usual.  However, when I returned, the door was locked.  So I went to the front door and... it was locked too!  I looked in the car and saw Blair's foot up on the door and I knew immediately she had pushed the button!  I stayed pretty calm, luckily Nora had just fallen asleep and Blair seemed fine.  It was also not too hot out.  I tried to entice Blair to push the button again and it seemed like she was trying.  She could hear me but I couldn't hear her.

The cart boy walked by and I asked if I could use his phone.  He also watched  from the other side of the car as I asked Blair to push the button and he said her foot was right on it and he thinks that it doesn't have an unlock button in the back which I guess is pretty common (and turned out to be true!).  I used his phone and dialed 911 and as I pushed send I thought, "I guess I should call Jason first" but I knew he wasn't home and I actually wasn't sure we had another key.  Plus, I had already pushed send and you can't hang up on 911.  So they said the firetruck was on the way!  It took about 5 minutes after the call (so maybe 10 total at this point) and I had to explain the situation to every passerby.  Then I see a GIANT firetruck pull up!  They couldn't send the small one, they had to send the full big boy with the ladder and a driver in the back!   4 firemen (actually 3, 1 firewoman who was the main one) hoped out to help (so embarassing!).  They started to work and at this point I thought "oh my god, they are going to break the door and Jason is going to kill me! Why didn't I call him!"  Luckily there was no damage and it took about 3 minutes to get them out.  Blair was still calm and they hoped in their truck and left.  I should have asked for a better picture!



So moral of the story... leave your door open as you go to get a cart!  Also, figure out why your car malfunctioned because it shouldn't have locked with the key inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment