I was a 3 cm dilated at the doctor and had my membranes stripped on Thursday 3/21. I had some contractions on Friday morning and thought things were happening but they fizzled after about 2 hours. Saturday we had a busy day.
On Saturday night, I had just put Blair down and was on the computer (Pinterest!) when I suddenly heard a pop and felt a sharp pain followed by another less intense but still painful feeling. It was about 8:20. They felt like extreme kicks. I thought the pop was weird but there was no water so I told Jason, " I am going to stand up and see what happens." When I stood up a little bit of water came out but it definitely felt like I was peeing so I was really nervous to be "that woman" who had just peed herself. I laid down on the couch to see if the water would pool and gush when I stood up. I called my mom to tell her and I only made it about 10 minutes before I was dying to check again. In this time, I had 1 minor contraction. There was no gush but definitely more leaking and I was sure at this time so I called Labor and Delivery at 8:55. They said to take a shower and head in. I asked if I could stay home awhile and they said to be there within 2 hours.
We started to clean up the house and get things together. I picked out Blair's outfit for the next day to meet her baby sister. I cuddled her in bed and said goodbye and cried of course. Then I hopped in the shower. I even washed my hair as I wanted to redo my makeup and hair for pictures (vain I know!).
The contractions were definitely picking up during all of this. I was using my phone to track them and they were 3-4 minutes apart. I started to think maybe doing my hair wasn't the best choice! I texted mom "definitely picking up now" and "be here by 10 if you can" since I knew we needed to get going.
I wanted to take my final belly picture so I decorated my chalkboard between contractions. Mom and Dad were there by this time and thought I was crazy!
By the time we got to the hospital they were really strong and they seemed to be coming fast. I did not look forward to having to stay in bed while they checked me in. I asked immediately for my IV to start the saline so I could get the epidural STAT!
They were taking their sweet time and I asked Jason at least 3 times to go tell them to start my IV, poor guy! They then checked my Blood pressure and it was 191/105 and then they really freaked out. The nurse said, "well we will definitely be admitting you" and I might have said some choice words about DUH although I did wait until she left the room. The finally got an IV started so that they could give me some medication but STILL no saline was started. Jason texted mom at 10: 35 "checked into triage... as soon as we get a room ill let you know and you can come over" and "she is ready for the drugs"
It started getting really bad and my legs started shaking. They checked me and I was at a 5. I had a feeling it was happening quicker than I expected and told Jason to tell them to come now! He texted at 10:47 "come now, at a 5" Luckily they had already decided to come wait in the parking lot and were on there way. Now I thought it was happening quick but I was thinking that it would be only a few more hours and so if they wanted to be there for the labor part then they should come on over.
They finally got everything together and transferred us to a labor room. We arrived at 11:16 and Jason texted them the room number right as they walked in (they had already gotten it at the front desk) I immediately said, "this is not good!" It was hurting SO bad and I knew I was still a long way away from getting my epidural as they had JUST started the saline.
Here is a shot of some texts with Mom:
I turned from my back to my side and was clutching the side rail...I was screaming like a dying pterodactyl
I could suddenly feel by belly actually thrusting to get the baby out and I screamed, "this is different from before!!!" My screams were so loud, I was definitely "that woman." Nicole told me to keep my noises low and it took everything in my not to curse at her but something in me knew she was right.
Then it happened, I HAD to push. They yelled at me not to and the nurse called for the team and then she checked me and I was at a 9. They told me not to push but I yelled, "It is happening!" and I still asked for my epidural, haha! It was the hardest thing not to push.
Nicole and mom were in the hallway ( I guess mom was having a minor freak out) and Nicole saw the doctor actually running down the hall with her coat flailing behind her to make it.
Jason said the faces I made were exorcist style and he will never forget them... I think he is scarred for life!
They said not to push while they checked that I had gone the last centimeter and I was thinking, "there isn't a choice, I am pushing this out now!"
They said I was good and that I could push. As much as it hurt, it was such a relief to push because it hurt so bad not to. On my first push she was crowing... second and the head was out... third and the body came out and they had me grab her and bring her to my chest. She was born at 11:28... just over 3 hours after my water broke!
Daddy cut the cord
It was so crazy after that. I felt so alert but also great (after all, I didn't have to labor long). I couldn't believe what had just happened. I got to hold her for a full hour all to myself and she latched on to nurse in that time.
This is the doctor who delivered her.
This is Dr. Mentakis who delivered Blair and Graham. He happened to be on that night and I had requested him but it happened so quickly he wasn't able to get there! He came by to visit.
She was 7 pounds 8 ounces and 21.25 inches long, so small!
Daddy's hand
She had her bath
Nicole made these wonderful latte cake pops for the nurses, they loved them!
She finally got wrapped up for some daddy time!
And just like that, we were off to the postpartum room!
The next morning we both had some cuddle time before it was time to meet Blair! I was on a magnesium drip for the blood pressure at this time so I was very foggy and had a bad headache for a day, that part was pretty miserable.














































That night was so intense and wonderful and I'm so thankful you shared the experience with us. I'm very thankful for that! I love little Nora and I'm so proud of you! You were a rock star and Jason was pretty impressive as well!
ReplyDelete