Kaiser offers many classes for new parents and well... you know me, we took them all, or at least most of them!
Early Pregnancy Class- We took this class early on around 10 weeks pregnant. It went over things like what we can eat and what to expect with my symptoms. I don't really remember much about it now!
Late Pregnancy Class- This class included a tour of the labor and delivery section of the hospital. They went through the procedures for check in and went over when to come in and what the standard procedures are for Kaiser. I found out that they do a lot of the things that I thought I would have to ask for like skin to skin contact and delayed newborn procedures so that we can have some time together first.
This was a little awkward as I had a former student in this class with me, strange!
Pain Management Class- this was a short class going over the pain management options that I have. I decided that I don't think I want the narcotics because I don't really like that loopy out of control feeling. It was a nurse anesthetist that did the class and she was cool because she was telling us what really goes on up there instead of just one of their instructors who never is actually in the room. I will definitely be getting the epidural but would like to wait until 4-6 cm to get it depending on my pain so that I can move around to help me progress.... I will probably end up having it at 2!!!
Breastfeeding Class- Obviously Jason was super looking forward to this one! I had originally scheduled it for a day when he has his basketball games but he didn't want to tell his buddies he was missing the game for breastfeeding class so I changed it, ha! It was good information but it was 2.5 hours and that is a lot of time to talk about boobies. The lady teaching it was terrible at getting through information quickly so Jason and I gave each other a lot of "shoot me now" looks.
Birthing Class- This class was an all day Saturday class but it actually didn't seem that long. My favorite part was that we got to practice having Jason learn how to do hand, feet, and back massages! We also spent time going through birth positions. I had to hold an ice cube in my hand so that I would have some pain that I had to try to control. We found some good positions that I liked and I also learned that I visualize waves when I breathe.
I was actually proud of us in this class because I was pretty scared that we would be the immature ones laughing at everything and get dirty looks. I mean we are responsible and all but we like to laugh at things and I was concerned that "that's what she said" and other inappropriate thoughts would just seep in. Plus once I start giggling I can't control myself. We laughed a few times but kept it under control!
Safe From Harm Class- This class was part learning infant CPR and the other part learning about keeping your home safe. Our favorite parts were learning "don't shake the baby" and "don't leave the baby in the car"... thanks, I am glad we paid money for this!
Newborn Care Class- This was our most recent class and Jason really looked forward to this one since he doesn't have baby experience. Our favorite breastfeeding class instructor was here again so we thought we were in for it but she was MUCH better this time. We learned about swaddling and what to expect in the first weeks with feeding and pooping. I think a lot of it had been covered in other classes or I had read it but it was a good review. Jason left saying that there was more to worry about then he even thought so he was more worried, poor guy!
He is going to be such a good dad and I think he will be natural at it once he realizes that it is his. I think it is easier when it is your own too so you don't have someone staring at you holding their little infant. I always feel weird holding people's babies too if they look like they will attack you if you don't hold their head "just right" I mean really I can't wait to have our own that we can just throw around and leave in the crate when we go out to dinner... hehe For the record, that is a total joke! I don't want CPS reading this and coming to the hospital to confiscate our girl.
So after all of that I believe we have earned our BS in parenting which is pretty much what it is... B.S. I mean really, it is only going to be on-the-job training that will really make us know what to do. Pretty much like teaching, after 4.5 years of classes, it was only student teaching where I really learned what to do.
I had my last shower this week with my coworkers, it was great! Watch for a post on that soon!
The classes all sound really informative and like they were worth the money!! Can't wait for the big day and to see you put all that info to use!
ReplyDeleteDo you have room on your wall for another degree? You guys are gonna be great! Can't wait to see you guys with your little girl! Love, Mom
ReplyDelete