Saturday, June 11, 2011

Baby Food

Aunties Nicole and Jen got the Beaba for us for our baby shower so that we could make some homemade baby food.  I have been waiting to do it and have been so excited.  Nicole came over to help me (thank goodness, it was a big job) and Grammy came to watch Blair while we worked.

Now I am not a crunchy granola type of girl but I think it is fun and I had heard it is SO much cheaper to do it yourself.  I even bought organic produce since it was maybe a few dollars difference.  It cost $35 all together.  Now I know exactly what I am feeding her and it is so healthy!

Step 1: cut up the food.  Some of it had to be peeled as well.

Step 2: steam or bake the food (we used both the Beaba steamer and our regular food steamer plus baked the sweet potatoes and butternut squash). Next time we would have more than just one steamer since we all have one. 

Step 3: Stop to check out cute baby
Step 4: Puree- we used the Beaba, the food processor and the magic bullet for this.
peas and sweet potatos
Step 5: put into bags to cool
zucchini
butternut squash
Step 6: stop to look at cute baby
Step 7: freeze in ice cube trays or these really cool Beaba trays.  This process went into the next day as I froze some at a time and then put them in bags and then froze some more.  I didn't see a need to buy 15 ice cube trays just to get it all done in one freeze.  We also dropped the thicker foods onto a cookie sheet and just let them freeze in lumps.
carrots


Step 8: stop to look at cute baby


Step 9: Transfer to freezer bags and label.  This is the freezer of the second fridge we bought just for baby.  You can see all the milk I have stored and now lots of baby food!
We made: applesauce, pears, carrots, peas, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and zucchini



It was really not hard at all to make the food and I definitely think you get A LOT for your money.  I think it is best to grab a helper and just take a few hours to do it like we did.  It took a while to do (and we could definitely be more efficient at it now) but it was easy work and fun!  We tried everything except for the zucchini (just because we forgot) even the peas!

Thank you Nicole!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a lot of food! It seemed like it was kind of fun and didn't take THAT long so definitely worth it! And I will come over and have playtime any time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome!! I had a blast and it will be fun to see her trying all the new foods!

    ReplyDelete